Sedation Dentistry Soothes Dental Anxiety
Leading Edge Dentistry always strives to provide a welcoming, inviting atmosphere for patients. We want you to feel at home here! However, we recognize that sometimes friendly faces and a gentle touch aren’t enough to dispel deep-set dental anxiety and other issues that may make it difficult for patients to sit through their treatment. That’s why Leading Edge Dentistry offers sedation dentistry in Marietta and West Cobb.
Leading Edge Dentistry provides two types of sedation to help our patients stay calm and at ease during their treatments:
Nitrous oxide sedation, otherwise known as laughing gas, is the most common type of sedation used in dentistry. It is suitable for patients of all ages, and it produces an immediate relaxing effect as soon as you breathe it in. It is easy for the dentist to adjust your sedation levels throughout your procedure. Because nitrous oxide wears off quickly, it is a fantastic option for folks who want to be able to drive themselves home after their appointment.
Oral conscious sedation provides an even deeper level of relaxation. You simply take a sedative shortly before your appointment, and by the time Dr. Howard starts working on your teeth, you should feel completely at ease. As the name of this type of sedation implies, you won’t be unconscious during the procedure, so you’ll still be able to communicate with the doctor. Oftentimes, patients do not remember their appointment after the sedation wears off. Because oral conscious sedation involves the use of a powerful drug, you’ll need to enlist a friend or family member to drive you to and from your appointment.
Both of these sedation options are generally very safe, especially since they are administered by an expert like Dr. Howard.
Is Sedation Dentistry Right for You?
Many patients have taken advantage of sedation dentistry in West Cobb and Marietta in order to conquer their anxieties and ensure that their teeth receive necessary care. But is it right for you? Here are some things that indicate you may be a good candidate for sedation:
- You have had a past bad experience at a dentist and are afraid that history will repeat itself.
- You are concerned that getting shots or receive other treatment at the dentist will be painful.
- You have dental anxiety for other reasons.
- Numbing agents do not affect you as much as they do other people.
- You have a condition that makes it difficult for you to sit still for extended periods of time.
- You require multiple dental treatments and wish to have them all performed during the same appointment.
- You have chronic jaw pain that will make it uncomfortable for you to keep your mouth open for a long time.
- You have a strong gag reflex.
If you believe you could benefit from sedation dentistry, please don’t hesitate to discuss your concerns with Leading Edge Dentistry. we’ll listen compassionately, ask you some questions about your current medications and medical history, and then let you know which sedation option we recommend for your circumstances.